Boeheim crash

Jim Boeheim hits, kills man in I-690 crash

Jim Boeheim’s vehicle hit a pedestrian who had exited his car after swerving into a guardrail on Interstate 690, according to a police spokesman.

UPDATED: Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019 at 5:54 p.m.

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim struck and killed a man while driving on Interstate 690 late Wednesday night, a Syracuse Police Department spokesman confirmed Thursday morning.

Boeheim’s vehicle hit a pedestrian who had exited his car after swerving into a guardrail on I-690, SPD Sgt. Matthew Malinowski said in a statement. There was no alcohol involved in the crash, Malinowski said. Police responded to the scene at about 11:20 p.m.

SPD identified the victim as 51-year-old Jorge Jimenez of Syracuse, according to Malinowski. Jimenez was in a vehicle that had lost control, swerved into a divider and landed in the middle of I-690 eastbound near Thompson Road in Syracuse on Wednesday, the spokesman said. The oncoming vehicle, driven by Boeheim, tried to avoid the car but hit Jimenez, who was standing on the side of the road, police said.

Jimenez was transported to Upstate University Hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to Malinowski.

All involved — including Boeheim — remained on the scene and cooperated with police, SPD said.

SPD Detective George Hack, also a spokesman for the department, told The Daily Orange on Thursday morning that nobody involved in the crash will be charged, at this time.

Hack said Jimenez’s family has been notified of his death.

“I’m sure he’s an emotional wreck. I’m sure his family is,” added Hack, referring to Boeheim. The SU men’s basketball head coach lives in Fayetteville.

Syracuse defeated No. 18 Louisville, 69-49, on Wednesday night. The game ended just before 9 p.m. Boeheim’s press conference following the game ended at about 9:20 p.m., and Boeheim was in the locker room by 9:30 p.m. for player interviews.

John Wildhack, director of SU Athletics, said in a statement Thursday morning that Boeheim is in contact with local authorities and fully cooperating.

“On behalf of Chancellor Kent Syverud and the entire Syracuse University community, we extend our deepest condolences to all impacted by this tragic accident,” Wildhack said.

boeheimcrash_mollygibbs_pe-17

The Syracuse Police Department identified the victim Thursday morning. Molly Gibbs | Photo Editor

Under the Gate E overlay at the Carrier Dome, most of “Boeheimsburg,” members of Boeheim’s Army who are camping out to watch Syracuse’s matchup with No. 1 Duke on Saturday, heard about the crash as soon as they woke up in their tents, they said.

Senior Josh Horowitz was in the middle of setting up his tent with his friend, Anthony Valentino, a junior at SUNY-ESF, when his phone started buzzing.

“My bud (Valentino) came to talk to me,” Horowitz said. “And I was like, ‘This is insane.’”

Boeheimsburg, as of Thursday morning, had about 15 tents set up by the Dome, more than two days ahead of the Duke game.

Junior sports management major Niklas Schmidt said he wondered if the weather caused the crash Wednesday.

Students said they have no plans of leaving Boeheimsburg.

This post has been updated with additional reporting.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, the score of the Syracuse-Louisville game was misstated. The score was 69-49. The Daily Orange regrets this error.