News briefs: 3 stories you might have missed this weekend

Wasim Ahmad | Staff Photographer

Twiggy Billue, a local activist, is running for the Syracuse City School District’s Board of Education.

Here are three Syracuse news stories you may have missed from over the weekend.

Falk convocation speaker announced

Brandon Steiner, founder and chairman of Steiner Sports Marketing, will speak at the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics’ convocation in May, according to an SU News release.

Steiner graduated from Syracuse University in 1981 and serves as the chairman of Falk College’s Sport Management Advisory Board. Steiner Sports has partnerships with the New York Yankees, SU Athletics, Notre Dame Football and Madison Square Garden, according to the release.

He frequently comments on sports during radio shows and also contributes to multiple charities, per the release.

Sixteen-year-old boy stabbed

A 16-year-old boy was stabbed on Friday afternoon in Syracuse, according to the Syracuse Police Department.

Witnesses said the boy was stabbed near the 800 block of Park Street, per a statement from SPD. He received a non-life threatening stab wound, per the statement. The boy was transported to Upstate Hospital.

The suspect is an unknown man, according to the statement. Suspect information is limited, and the investigation is ongoing, per to the statement.

Billue running for school board

Cherylene “Twiggy” Billue, a local activist, is running for the Syracuse City School District’s Board of Education, Urban CNY reported. Billue has been involved in the district for more than 20 years as both a parent and an informal community guide, according to Urban CNY.

Billue moderated a panel at “The State of Our Community” meeting in January 2019, and she’s the president of the Syracuse chapter of the National Action Network. Her activism also extends to conversations about the future of Interstate 81 in Syracuse, job finding and retention and the city’s school district.

At a February school board meeting, Billue expressed her concerns about a possible restructuring of the school her granddaughter attends. New York state is mandating improvements for three schools in the city school district, including Dr. King Elementary School, where her granddaughter goes.

School board elections will take place in November.