Graduation Guide 2019

Senior class marshals spent year amplifying unheard voices on campus

Aaron Kassman | Staff Photographer

Seniors Danielle Schaf (left) and Abigail Covington are this year's senior class marshals and have worked during the 2018-19 year to represent and advocate for members of the student body at a number of university-wide events and programs.

Seniors Abigail Covington and Danielle Schaf stepped onto Syracuse University’s campus four years ago with the goal of making their marks. As senior class marshals, Schaf and Covington will lead the Class of 2019 by carrying the class banner at SU’s 165th Commencement ceremony. 

The two have been working the entire 2018-19 year to represent and advocate for members of the student body at a number of university-wide events and programs. Both were present at the Ackerman Avenue assault forum in February and the new student convocations in August 2018 and January of this year.  

Through their campus involvement, both Covington and Schaf have aimed to bring awareness to problems on campus that affect all students. Schaf said the dynamic she and Covington have together allows them to amplify each other’s strength and ability to question the institutions before them.  

“We’re both there to support each other,” Schaf said. “We’re there to talk to each other and we’re there to make sure that we’re both doing well outside of our role as class marshal before we start doing actions within the role.” 

For both Schaf and Covington, campus involvement has been driven by their personal experiences. 

When Schaf came to SU, she said she felt the weight of being the first in her family to go to college. Schaf said she struggled her first semester as she attempted to navigate the new academic terrain alone — she couldn’t seem to find her place. But by the time second semester came around, she began to realize where she fit in on campus. 

The position of class marshal has given Schaf the chance to represent first-generation and low-income college students as well as students from single-parent homes. She is proud of the identities she holds and embraces them in order to make room for change. 

The experiences she had that first semester got her thinking about other first year students transitioning into college. She said her drive to help inspired her to become a resident adviser. 

Schaf has served as a resident adviser for three years at Shaw and Sadler Hall, helping first-year students transition to college. While balancing her job as an RA, she has also become an executive board member of the College of Arts and Sciences’ Dean’s Team and co-president of the Undergraduate Anthropology Club. Schaf is triple majoring in anthropology, forensic science and writing studies, rhetoric and composition, earning Dean’s list honors each semester. 

Schaf attributes her personal growth to the mentors she has come across on campus. She said she’s thankful for her mother for being an inspiration and for sacrificing so much for her to be where she is today. 

student-marshalls

Amy Nakamura | Design Editor

“I’ve encountered so many professors who’ve been women, not only in the department of anthropology, but also in the department of writing who have significantly shaped my mind, my character, my whole intellect and just me as a person,” she said. 

Schaf said that each opportunity at SU has shaped her into the empathetic individual she is today. She adds that these opportunities have empowered her to gain confidence in her own skills.  

Covington also carries a similar leadership mentality, said senior Kelsey Davis. Davis and Covington met during their idea2Startup class at the School of Information Studies their junior year. Working together in a group project, Davis knew from the start that Covington was a leader. Honest, loyal and collaborative by nature are some of the ways Davis describes one of her closest friends. 

“She’s a complete photo representation of what I believe our Class of 2019 represents,” Davis said. 

As a writing studies, rhetoric and composition major in the College of Arts and Sciences, along with having minors in public communications and information technology, design and startups, Covington said her involvement across campus has contributed to her growth as a leader.  

“I’ve been able to do a lot of different academic work … but I’ve also been able to just have a great social experience, and I think that balance is hard for some people to find,” she said. 

Covington also leads as the vice president of internal affairs in the Black Leadership Network. She added that the experience of being a part of the black and African community on campus defined her overall experience at SU. She also held the position of co-chair of programming for Empowering Minds Movement Conference, aimed to develop high school students into leaders.  

“I definitely have been able to indulge and really get my reach across different areas of campus, which has been amazing,” Covington said. 

As a class marshal, Covington said she spends a significant amount of time using the direct path she has with upper-level administration to sit down and talk about student experience changes. One way she has used her position is by talking to the financial aid department on more transparent collaboration for aid, particularly for first year students or students applying by themselves.  

Covington said it can be daunting for her and Schaf speak on behalf of the Class of 2019 regarding feedback the student experience. This is why she intentionally gathers input from diverse voices in order to develop a well-rounded perspective. 

“We know that we carry a large burden,” Covington said. “But at the same time, I think that’s where we draw a lot of our power from — in that we understand that a lot of marginalized communities are being represented when we step into a room.”