Track and Field

What to know ahead of the ACC Indoor Track championships

This weekend, 14 Syracuse runners will participate in the ACC Indoor championships.

This Thursday, Syracuse travels to Louisville, Kentucky, to compete in the Atlantic Coast Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships. Prior to the postseason, Syracuse had competed in invitationals at Cornell, Boston University and Clemson.

Syracuse will feature 14 participating athletes on the first day of the meet and also have a team competing in the men’s distance medley relay. Kaleia Arrington and Peyton Rollins will represent the Orange in the women’s 200m. Arrington recorded her personal best of 24.85 seconds to place second at the Tiger Paw Invite at Clemson this month, while Rollins recorded 25.16 seconds at the Boston University Invite.

James Nmah and Carlton Landingham will headline the men’s 200m. Nmah finished the event within 22 seconds (21.99) this month, which was his personal record. Landingham posted his personal best of 22.17 seconds in early February.

Amanda Vestri is competing in the women’s 5000m along with Ellie Lawler and Savannah Roark. Roark trained with her father’s fellow officers in the Air Force to be an All-American runner. Vestri achieved her personal and school record of 15:42.48, in the event, which she set at the season-opener in December 2022. Vestri also enters the competition as the reigning champion of the 5000m, having won the race at the 2021 ACC Indoor Championships. Ellie Lawler’s personal record is 16:48.80 while Roark’s is 16:08.89.

The rest of Syracuse’s seven runners are competing in the Men’s 5000m. Nathan Lawler (13:51.26), Sam Lawler (13:52.45), Alex Comerford (13:56.76), Assaf Harari (14:08.35), and Ethan Wechsler (14:18.79) all posted their best records at the Boston University Invite this month. Paul O’Donnell finished with his personal best (13:54.94) during SU’s season opener in December while Noah Carey recorded his personal record (13:53.86) last year.

The men’s distance medley relay will be the last event of the day.

On Friday, Sydney Nowicki and Caroline Kirby will start in the women’s mile. Nowicki and Kirby both posted their personal bests at the Boston University Invite this month with 4:51.97 and 4:52.92, respectively.

width=

Santiago Noblin | Digital Design Director

Karl Winter is also competing in the mile. He posted his personal record time of 3:59.25 at the Boston University Invite, becoming just the eighth athlete to finish under four minutes in program history. Winter will run the event alongside Kevin Robertson, who completed his best time (4:06.28) this month.

Six Syracuse athletes are expected to race in the 60m hurdles, On the men’s side, Jaheem Hayles recorded his personal best of 7.69 seconds at the Tiger Paw Invite and Naseem Smith medaled with a second-place finish at the 2022 Kane Invite with a personal record of eight seconds. David Peters will also make his debut appearance at an ACC Indoor Championships. Peters’ best time in the event came all the way back in December 2021 when he finished in 8.12 seconds.

On the women’s side, Shaleah Colaire holds the best 60m hurdles record on the team (8.39), while Rollins will compete in her second event of the meet after undergoing the 200m. Rollins has a personal best of 8.76, which she set at the track season tip-off in December 2022.

Elijah Mallard will be competing in the men’s 400m, an event where he set his best time of 48.63 seconds at the Dr. Sander Invitational Columbia Challenge at the end of January. Xayvion Perkins, whose personal record is 49.87, will be competing as well.

In the 60m dash, Kahniya James will compete alongside Arrington. James’ best performance was at the 2022 ACC Indoor Championships with a 7.39 second finish, and placed sixth in the final heat. Arrington has her personal best of 7.75 seconds in the event, which she set when she placed third at the Kane Invitational this month.

On the men’s side, Daijon Richards and Trei Thorogood will compete in the 60m. Richards successfully finished the dash just under the seven second mark (6.95) and won the bronze medal at the Marc Deneault Invitational last weekend, while Thorogood set his personal best (6.72) at the Greg Page season tip-off in December.

Alexander Segarra will be Syracuse’s lone runner in the men’s 800m. Segarra recorded his personal best of 1:55.62 earlier this month.